Add your freeware!
Know of some cool free software for the Mac that's not listed here? Visit the Frisky Forum or send me a note so I can add it!
Programs that Frisky likes best are featured with red stars ().
Found a bad link? I'm not surprised. Most of this software is old, old, old. If you find a bad link and know of a good one, please let me know. Otherwise, I probably don't have time to fix all of these myself. If the link's broken, try Google or MacUpdate, but chances are the software is outdated and gone by now.
Note: While this site is ancient and hasn't been updated for some time, I have been able to add Frisky current list of freeware favorites from Delicious.
Recent freeware highlights
December 7, 2007
November 17, 2007
- Nexuiz -- First person shooter game.
September 19, 2007
- Quinn -- Tetris game you can play over a network.
- App Delete -- Deletes programs and associated files.
- SchoolHouse -- Organizational program for students to track classes and assignments.
- WhatSize -- Easily keep track of the largest files on your computer.
- HandBrake -- Rip DVDs in a variety of formats.
July 23, 2007
July 18, 2007
- EZ Money -- Checkbook-like budgeting program.
- MacTrek -- Multi-directional shooter for up to 16 players.
July 3, 2007
June 27, 2007
- Meteorologist -- Hooray! The sweet little menubar weather app returns, bugs fixed.
May 11, 2007
- Minions of Mirth -- An MMORPG with no monthly subscription fee? Oh my. MacUpdate has this listed as "free," but it may just be a "Free demo," as they have a $30 version as well, but there still is no monthly fee.
May 9, 2007
May 7, 2007
- Bean -- A free, lightweight Word Processor.
April 26, 2007
- MacSword -- A program for reading the bible, devotionals, and other biblical files. It is compatible with Sword Project versions of the Bible available for free here.
- 7zX -- Compresses files even tighter than ZIP.
- TubeTV -- Download YouTube movies and convert them using Perian.
April 23, 2007
- JA Backup -- Java-based backup program using ZIP files.
April 17, 2007
- Sauerbraten -- a free multiplayer/singleplayer first person shooter that has some gorgeous graphics. Try this out!
April 9, 2007
- Buddi -- Finance and budgeting app written in Java.
April 3, 2007
- Actiontastic -- To-do list manager that supports the GTD method.
- iGTD -- Another to-do list manager that supports the GTD method.
- FontNuke -- Clean out your font caches.
- GetTube -- Download music and video from YouTube.
- Pac the Man -- Free Pac-Man program.
- SigmaChess -- Free 3D chess program.
- TrailRunner -- Map out trips for hiking, biking, etc.
March 30, 2007
- MagiCal -- Menu-based calendar and clock.
- Google Notifier -- Be alerted with new mail and calendar events.
- SuperTuxKart -- A racing game like Super Mario Kart featuring Tux the Linux penguin.
March 8, 2007
March 5, 2007
- Exif Untrasher -- Recover pictures that you may have erased from your digital camera!
February 15, 2007
- Norrkross Register -- Keep a database of items like DVDs, books, et cetera
in an XML file with this application.
January 2, 2007
- Free Ruler -- A free set of screen rulers to measure pixels and other units of measurement based on your screen resolution.
November 27, 2006
- Minuteur -- This is a kind of egg timer for the Mac, useful for when you're cooking and surfing the web at the same time.
- Mulberry -- This calendar and e-mail program has been around for a while, but now it's free!
- VirtueDesktops -- Advanced desktop manager for Mac OS 10.4.
August 21, 2006
- Buddi -- Budget software written in Java.
- Mulberry -- This calendar and e-mail program has been around for a while, but now it's free!
- VirtueDesktops -- Advanced desktop manager for Mac OS 10.4!
June 21, 2006
- stellarium -- A free open source planetarium for your MAC. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
April 24, 2006
- OSXII -- An Apple ][ Emulator.
March 17, 2006
- LinoType FontExplorer X -- A robust font management system that's pretty darn slick. It's free because they have a "store" feature you can use to buy Linotype fonts, but that's the only catch.
February 23, 2006
- SlipBox -- Notepad-like tool.
- Frictionless -- If you've joined the Getting Things Done cult (by David Allen), then you'll want to try out this task manager.
February 22, 2006
- iTerm -- Terminal program that might be better than Terminal.app, we don't know.
January 26, 2006
- celtx -- Collaboration software for screenwriters. It seems to be in Beta, so we're not sure if it'll stay free. Try it out anyway.
January 25, 2006
- TextWrangler -- The shinier, newer version of BBEdit Lite, and now it works with Cyberduck for editing files via FTP.
- aMSN -- An open-source MSN client that has features the "official" program doesn't, like a web cam.
- Khronos -- Keep track of your time for freelance projects.
December 21, 2005
Check out this collection of free software from FreeSMUG, which includes the "best of the best" in free software.
- Jahshaka -- Open-source video effects editor.
- SeeEdit Mini -- XHTML, XML editor.
- DTV -- Internet TV app.
- MenuMeters -- Tracks different information on your Mac.
- Gantt Project -- Project Management system.
- Max -- Encodes audio files, such as MP3, LAME, Ogg Vorbis.
December 12, 2005
December 2, 2005
- Touvaly -- Catalog your disks and removable media so you can find files easily later. There have been $hareware programs like this since the beginning of time (usually for $30 or more). Nice to see a free one again!
November 14, 2005
November 11, 2005
- Journler -- A daily notebook to put your thoughts.
November 9, 2005
- MyMind -- A very useful note-taking tool allowing you to sort your ideas with hierarchicial lists and multiple columns.
- bdd Business -- Business software to help handle invoices, reports, etc.
- Personal Aide -- Keep track of files and components needed for a project (it's the right-most icon on the page).
November 8, 2005
- Exif Untrasher -- Recover trashed images from a digital camera media card.
November 7, 2005
- Teleport -- Control several Macs with one mouse and keyboard. I'm assuming this is similar to VNC.
- WeatherDock -- Get the weather through your dock or a window.
- Building -- An "interactive fiction" game similar to those Infocom games of the early 80s. It comes with an interpreter.
November 4, 2005
- Aethera -- Free Personal Information Manager.
- Chandler -- An open-source Personal Information Manager.
- FinderPop -- a delightful control panel that makes the control key worth pressing.
October 31, 2005
- ShakesPeer -- An open source Direct Connect client.
- Camino -- This Mozilla browser now supports CamiFlash to block Flash content and CamiSearch to edit the search function, so now it's just about perfect!
October 24, 2005
October 19, 2005
- Coccinella -- Share your Mac with a common whiteboard window system.
October 12, 2005
- gDisk -- Use your gMail account to upload and download any files you want.
- BidNobble -- One of those auction sniping tools.
October 7, 2005
- NeoOffice J -- A Java version of NeoOffice that runs without relying on X11. It's actually much faster than I expected, and works nicely with Microsoft Office files. Try it!
October 3, 2005
- iEyes -- Eyeballs follow your cursor around the screen.
- Enemy Territory -- This is allegedly a first-person shooter, though I couldn't quite figure it out. My machine probably isn't fast enough to run it properly.
- Konfabulator -- When Apple "invented" the Dashboard, they were really just copying this. Also available for Windows.
September 23, 2005
- Seashore -- Image manipulation program built with Cocoa and code from the GIMP. It has some simple, basic features such as anti-aliased text, layers, and alpha channels. It also works with CMYK!
- Christmas Super Frog -- Christmas-themed Frogger clone.
- MacScan -- Designed to remove spyware, keystroke loggers, and Trojans from your Mac system. Hmm. I wasn't aware any existed.
September 21, 2005
- Critical Mass -- A space shoot 'em up game that uses Opel GL. Looks similar to Galaga.
- Queen Firefly -- Capture the fireflies and try to locate the Queen.
- Gizmo -- Internet telephony application designed to look like iChat.
- WorkTimer -- Keep track of how much time you spend on different projects.
- Inkscape -- Drawing program similar to CorelDraw, but runs in the X11 environment.
September 19, 2005
- AquaMacs -- A graphic version of the legacy text editor, Emacs.
- TimeCounter -- a countdown, stopwatch, reminder and alarm clock.
- TinyAlarm -- Puts a small alarm clock in the menubar. Works like an egg timer.
- Smultron -- Elegant little text editor that works with Cyberduck.
- Battle for Wesnoth -- A turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme. This one looks quite awesome and has options for network play.
- FreeCiv: Simulation game like Civilation. Requires Apple X11.
- Freespace -- Space combat game.
May 6, 2005
- BootCD: Create Mac OS X boot disks.
- Butler: Launches files, keeps bookmarks, Does Things.
- BwanaDik: Another IP address app with additional features to see when you're connected.
- cocoaTunes: media player
- Cyberduck 2.4.3: Free FTP client
- iSnip: Handles little text snippits with a system-wide menu bar item.
- Mini vMac: Emulates Mac Plus and lets you play old, old games.
- OfficeTimer: time projects for freelance work.
- SideNotes: Puts a drawer on the side of the screen where you can put notes.
- skiTunes: An open-source replacement for iTunes.
- SoulSeeX: A SoulSeek client.
- Youpi Optimizer: Delete unused language packages for extra space.
- CalendarClock -- Add a very nice calendar and clock to your menubar that integrates with iCal!
- ABIWord -- A very robust word processor that most of the features you'd expect from Microsoft Word. Really! It can even open and save Word files!
- Audion -- A sleek little MP3 player and encoder. It used to be shareware, but now it's retired.
- BootCD Create a boot disk for Mac OS X that you can burn onto a DVD.
- Car CompanionCar Companion - It's supposed to help you keep track of your car maintenance, but I couldn't get it to work.
- clamXav - Anti-Virus software.
- Compress - Squeeze your files with GZIP, BZIP, and other formats.
- Icarus - A Japanese side-scrolling shooter game.
- NVU - A WYSIWYG HTML editor based on Gecko, which is part of the Mozilla project.
- Spectacular -- Spectacular is a spectral audio composition environment (whatever that is!)
- Stunt Copter -- An old classic, now for Mac OS X!
October 9, 2004
- Camino ExtraPrefs -- Add several bonus features to Camino, like ad blocking, controls on animated GIFs, and other stuff.
- EasyFind -- An alternative way to find your files.
- GPS photo -- Store GPS photo in an image file.
- MacMAME -- Play classic coin-op arcade games on your Mac--no quarters!
- MP3-Info CMM -- Check an MP3's ID tags with a contexual menu.
- Mr. Clean -- Find and trash duplicate files.
- NewsFire -- Read RSS feeds in an iChat-like interface.
- OSX Planet -- Put a live globe on your desktop, complete with cloud coverage and other goodies.
- Priviledge Fix -- Change user priviledges in nested folders.
- PicturePopPro -- Grab a preview of an image with a contextual menu.
- RSSOwl -- Java RSS newsfeed reader.
- SMART reporter - Warns you if you have SMART-diagnosed hard disk problems.
- SpamAssassin -- Server side spam filtering program that works great, but I don't know how to install myself.
- ThumbsUp -- Automatically makes thumbnails for your images.
- Text to MP3 -- Allegedly turns text into audible MP3 with Apple's text to speech software, but I couldn't get it to work.
- SliMP3 Server -- Stream your MP3s.
- XMenu -- Like the old Apple menu.
September 15, 2004
August 29, 2004
- AstroShare -- Used to remotely control a Mac or PC, much like VNC.
- Audacity -- Edit and create audio with loads of extra features.
- HimmelBar -- Launch and quit programs more easily.
- Gimp App -- The best free alternative to Photoshop.
- ImageWell -- Crop your pictures and put them online.
- jIRCii -- Java IRC program.
- KTA Tennis -- Put the current weather in your menubar. Oh yeah!
- Laughing Man -- Detect when your favorite web pages change.
- Mac the ripper -- Extract video from DVD.
- PGP Freeware -- Free encryption software!
- SNES9X CUSTOM 1.43 -- Put the current weather in your menubar. Oh yeah!
- Squid Little -- Put the current weather in your menubar. Oh yeah!
- SuperBrain -- MasterMind game of logic and deduction.
- Thunderbird -- E-mail program.
- VLC Media Player -- Play DIVX, AVI, and MPEG-4 movies as well as DVDs outside your own region! How cool is this?
- Xfolders -- Browse your files in 3D.
June 17, 2004
- Conversation 2 -- Significant upgrade tothe IRC program, with the option to save chat sessions automatically!
- Fish-- A virtual fish tank with loads of options.
- Meteorologist -- Put the current weather in your menubar. Oh yeah!
- My Sokoban--Push blocks around in this SNES-looking game.
- Onyx -- The best free maintenance utility for Mac OS X, period.
- OpenOffice -- A nice alternative to Microsoft's office suite, but it requires "X11," which I don't understand. Try it anyway!
- PGP Freeware -- The coolest encryption suite gets an upgrade.
- SubEthaEdit -- You and all your iChat buddies can edit one text document at the same time!
- SuperBrain -- Mastermind game clone.
- GNU Privacy Guard -- A free alternative to PGP with loads of add-ons, including GPG Tools and plug-ins for Mail.app and Entourage.
June 15, 2004
- Big Bang Chess -- Slick chess game with network capabilities.
- Butler -- File launcher, bookmark manager, pasteboard extension, and more all wrapped in a cute little icon. Try it out!
- CashBox -- Simple finance program.
- Escape Pod -- Force-quit apps, the dock, and use force-logout.
- FireFox -- Tried this browser yet? Give it a shot!
- Quinn -- Tetris game you can play over a network.
- Shiira -- Slick brower based on the Apple took kit (so it works like Safari, only better!) Perfect except it won't save passwords.
- Wiretap -- Record audio from the Internet or DVDs. I couldn't get this one to work. You try it!
- Yum! -- Recipe organizer with sample recipes!
May 20, 2004
- AuctionSieve -- Sort through eBay auction listings easily!
- BuddyRetriever -- Grab a dozen headlines, comic strips and more content for your online reading pleasure.
- Cacheout -- Clean out your caches and reclaim valuable disk space!
- Camino -- Web surfers rejoice! The latest version of this tidy little browser is out, and it works great. Give it a whirl!
- CyberDuck -- An free FTP client that works great, with sync options and the ability to edit files online.
- Fire -- Use all popular Instant Messanging systems.
- MacBoot -- Change the boot image on your Mac. Just drag and drop a picture!
- Maintain -- Run various maintenance routines on your Mac.
- RadioRecord -- Save streamed MP3s to your hard drive and set it to record at certain times like a VCR. It also integrates with iTunes, so your files are added to their own playlist.
- SilverCreator -- Create games on your Mac! I haven't used this, so try it out and let me know howy ou like it.
- SymbolicLinker -- Create UNIX friendly symbolic links (aliases, shortcuts, you know the deal!)
- SuperTux -- 2D side-scrolling game with that silly Linux penguin!
- XFactor -- A very slick peer-to-peer file-swapping program that runs on FastTrack, Gnutella, and OpenFT. How does that light your fire?
May 8, 2004
- Adium -- Free, multi-protocol instant message program. This rocks!
- iEatBrains -- Yum. This program will help you give your MP3s all the correct nametags, even if no one grabbed them from CDDB when they wre originally ripped!
- Laughing Man -- Check to see if web sites are updated.
- VLC -- Play a bunch different video formats, like DVD and VCD.
- XFolders -- Alternative to the Finder.
April 26, 2004
- AbiWord -- A free word processing program that is compatible with Microsoft Word and has many nice features. (Check out the screenshots!)
- MacSword -- Read the Bible on your Mac in several translations, including Hebrew! Very valuable for Bible scholars.
- Microsoft Expression -- A big drawing program for both Mac OS X and 9! It's quite a bit different from Illustrator, but it looks like it has many of the same features. Try it!
- PsyncX -- A reliable backup program that runs quietly in the background.
Hungry for more freeware? Go visit MacUpdate.com! We find most of the freeware goodies listed here on MacUpdate, so check it.